When pigmentation occurs, it shows up as patches of skin turning darker in colour, blotches, dark spots and circles, or general darkening of the skin, which all cause an uneven skin tone. There are many reasons pigmentation appears on the skin, things such as genetics, hormonal changes, medical conditions and burns or spots. The visible effects of pigmentation can become more obvious as we age, so earlier treatment can help with this and prevent any further damage.
There are many reasons we get skin pigmentation including;
- Increased sun exposure
- Medical conditions
- Trauma to the skin
- Hormonal changes
As well as pigmentation, there is also hyperpigmentation, and this is when we get dark patches on the skin due to over-exposure to the sun. Hyperpigmentation is a concentrated increase in your skin’s melanin, where patches of the skin become darker than the surrounding skin.
Using sunbeds can cause dark, patchy areas of skin, as sunbeds give out a high dose of UV light, causing an excess production of melanin, which makes pigmentation show unevenly on the skin. There are several treatment options depending on the type of pigmentation problem.
Treatments for hyperpigmentation:
* Chemical peels – these are an effective treatment option. A skin peel removes blemishes and dull cells from the surface of the skin, improving the texture and smoothness of the skin.
* Microdermabrasion – treatments for mild exfoliation to deeper medical treatments translates into more impressive and lasting results. It’s popularly used for the face but it’s also great for the neck, chest and hands.
* Laser treatment – targets pigmentation, breaks-up and lightens deep sun damage and hormonal melasma, creating a more even skin tone.
The laser treatment for removing pigmentation is ideal to use on any area of the body. Pigmentation happens on areas of the body where there’s been exposure to the elements, and is most commonly found on the face and hands. Laser is a safe treatment option and it won’t harm the skin, the average procedure lasts around thirty minutes and most clients will notice a dramatic improvement in their skin after their first treatment.
Benefits of laser skin pigmentation treatment:
- It’s safe to use on the face, hands, neck and chest
- There’s no recovery time, you can return to normal activities immediately
- It’s effective – giving outstanding results every time
Prevention is better than a cure, so as pigmentation and hyperpigmentation are largely caused by over exposure to the sun, it’s highly recommended that you wear a broad-spectrum SPF daily to keep your skin safe and stop any further damage occurring. If it’s very hot and sunny, then wear a hat and don’t expose your skin to the sun during the hottest part of the day.